Monday, October 27, 2014

613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog - ART WORDS - Finnabair Password Book


Hello, Crafty Peeples!
This week 613 Avenue Create, continues our committment to the Anything Goes Format.  Of course, we have an Optional Twist (Tags, Bags, Books, and More) for which I will write up a separate post.  
I have been interested in The Finnabair Mixed Media Technique for a while and when I realized that I needed a new Password Book I decided it would be the perfect practice platform.  
If I messed it up, it wouldn't really matter.  
I have tons of these little memo notepads.  I found them in a dollar bin at Rite Aid.
I would recommend putting on a coat of black gesso.  This will make your new cover adhere better.
Usually, I remove the binding and use the original cover, but this one was too difficult to remove.






I used a printed textured card stock for the new cover, but by the time I finished using stencils, paste, glaze, etc., the original color only shows through in a few places.  The texture, however, gave a faux canvas look and feel to the book.
I like to have all my embellishments relate in a cohesive manner, however,  the idea behind Finnabair is to mix random elements and stack them in what appears to be a haphazard way.  Finnabair requires thought and patience.  I like puzzles and this is like putting together a puzzle whose pieces have very crazy irregular shapes.
I used a lot of Luminarte Acrylic Glaze and Twinkling H20.  The decoupage flower is one of my favorite elements.  I kept alternating Glaze, H20, Mod Podge, and Fabric Stiffner until I achieved the color variations I wanted.  Here is a photo of the original flowers.
Prima No. 11 Essentials Floral Embellishments
I am starting a new Journal cover.  I will try to remember to take pictures of the original elements so I can show a step by step transformation.  I might even learn how to use Hang Tag over at InLinkz.  But in the meantime, here is a quick listing of some of the items materials used in this project.

Materials/Supplies
DCWV Textured Paper: Old World Stack 
Marianne Craftables Die: Clock Work
Sizzix Alphabet Die: Mac 'n' Cheese
Luminarte Acrylic Glaze: Honey Amber and Watermelon Mist
Luminarte Twinkling H20:  Sunflower 
Dylusions Ink Spray: Cherry Pie
Smooch Various Colors
Homemade Shimmer Mists
Chipboard and Metal Cogs
Metal Findings
Miscellaneous embellishments

Challenges Entered (will check Paper Playful to see what is appropriate)

Amusing Challenges - Anything Goes
Scribble and Scrap Challenge - Always Anything Goes
One Stitch At A Time - Anything Goes with A Butterfly
Sentimental Sundays - Purple, Green, Black with a Touch of Gold
Treasured Times Rubber Stamps - Anything Goes
Through The Craft Room Door - Always Anything Goes




6 comments:

  1. Wowza Chana! Love this Art Journal! I enlarged it and inspected all the parts and pieces - the spinners, the coat hanger, gears, textures, colors... the flower did turn out great too! I learned something about Finnabair too - thanks!
    ~ginny
    RubberMAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous project! I love the wonderful metallic vibe, and all the layers and yummy texture you built in here. The flower transformation is astonishing...I would never have guessed. You clarified the definition of Finnabair for me, too, so thank you. I just love this...love your style and continue to be thrilled with your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful piece of creativity Chana - I love all the bits and pieces that you have added.

    Thank you so much for entering the OSAAT Challenge this fortnight, lots of luck to you.

    Hugs Sue Pxxx DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Project! I love all of the details. Thank you for sharing with TTCRD this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic Chana, I love all those details it looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us at Sentimental Sundays, hope to see you again soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Chana,
    I saw you altered cover on 613 Avenue Create challenge blog and I couldn't believe what I saw. I simply adore it! The use of colours is great and this is just something I have to learn. I also love so much the embellishments you added! I would love receiving such a present from someone!

    Mariangela ^___^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana