Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Shopping Our Stash - Challenge #235 - 3, 2, 1

Hello, Crafty Peeps,

USE 3, 2, AND 1 of Something
(papers, embellishments, etc.)

Here is another challenge designed to help you not only reduce your stash, but also push your creative limits!  We want you to use something you have been hoarding!

I have created a reversed canvas project.  I just love this technique and how easy it is to build a beautiful scene no matter how small your canvas.This project is 6" x 6".


Contents:  3 hearts and 3 flowers, 2 Brads
 1 Ribbon, 1 Banner, 1 Apothecary Bottle, and 1 Sentiment
I always apply several coats of gesso to cover the staples.
I had already chosen the colors I wanted to blend, and created my background paper design.
My next step was to try to match the frame to the background paper.
In the end, I decided to use burlap paper to cover the inside.
I tried several ways of adding my background paper, but was still not satisfied, so...
I decided to place the paper inside a small Tim Holtz Cabinet Card 
I chose the elements and cut a frame to cover the front of my shadow box. 
I really wanted to leave the staples exposed for a more rustic look, however, it just didn't work.
I distressed edges of my hearts with colors pulled from my background paper.  
I added a red heart, ribbon, and a red ephemera piece to bring color to the conposition.
Contents:  3 hearts and 3 flowers, 2 Brads
 1 Ribbon, 1 Banner, 1 Apothecary Bottle, and 1 Sentiment.
When using the cabinet cards, it is helpful to lightly sand them so they accept the distress ink.
I die cut a sheet of burlap to create my frame and created a lace border around the window.
The inside ledges were stained
Positioning the cabinet card was my biggest challenge.  Because my canvas was so deep, 
it was necessary to use 1/4 in bottle caps to elevate the cabinet card.
The lace was attached to the canvas frame using double-sided tape.  
Over which I applied two coats of Mod Podge.  The front was coated with fabric stiffner.
I used clip to prevent the frame from curling too much. 
The sides were stained with Tattered Angels Baseboard
Clay and Bittersweet



22 comments:

  1. Yet another incredible creation, Chana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project!! Love all the little details and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! Love your reversed canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning and so clever, I'd never had thought of doing something like this until now, thank you for sharing another beautiful and creative project design. Hugs, Lori m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Your comments are very encouraging! Always!
      Hugz!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous project, simply gorgeous. Love how you showed step by step how it was done. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! For some reason, blogger was not allowing me to reply to SOS members...weird!
      Hugz!

      Delete
  6. Wow, a really fantastic make! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chana, this is so gorgeous and wonderful inspiration for me as I plan to make some shadow boxes soon. Thank you for showing your step-by-step process. That is very helpful and inspirational.
    hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! I am working on a shadow box project for The Hubster ! Would love to see yours whenever you complete it!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Love the shadow box look of the reversed canvas, the embellishments, heck, the overall design is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shani, for such a sweet comment! Hope I can get by your blog Monday! This cold has put me so far behind!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous, I knew I just had to try this and did, thank you for sharing another fabulous idea. Hugs, Lori m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! I would love to see your project! Hope it is on your blog so I can take a look when I stop by!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete
  10. This is an awesome project. Love all that burlap and texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much, Princess Judy! Burlap and Kraft paper are personal weaknesses! :D)
      Hugz!

      Delete
  11. oh! my! gosh! you are sooooooo CLEVER! what an amazing technique! i need to reverse me a canvas now!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I would love to see what your wonderful, creative mind would conjure up...something fabulous, I know!
      HUGZ!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana