Friday, May 1, 2015

Canvas Corp Brands Crew Challenge: Save A Recipe - 7 Gypsies Farmhouse Collection

Hello, Crafty Peeps!
I am so happy to share my recipe book using the 7 Gypsies' Farmhouse Collection!  This is only my second project for Canvas Corp since I joined their design team. I hope you enjoy looking at this project as much as I enjoyed creating it!  But most of all, I hope you leave inspired!

CANVAS CORP BRANDS - SAVE A RECIPE - CREW CHALLENGE

My husband, a home cook/amateur chef, has pretty much banned me from the kitchen!  I do like to sneak in there sometimes to whip up some of my favorite recipes.  The recipies are saved on my Mac, but I really like books/paper.  One day, I told myself: " Self, if you make a recipe book, you can keep it in your studio and just hop down to the kitchen with it when you need to."  This project is the brain child of that inspirational conversation! Oh, yeah, and the CCB Crew Challenge!   

Chana's Farmhouse Recipe Book
My goal, was to create a "vintage" book that might have been found in an old country kitchen.  I chose the palette to communicate the look and feel of  an "aged and much used" family treasure.

FRONT

The Farmhouse Paper is so pretty,  I didn't want to muck about with it too much.
 I chose to do spot color only!  The Onion was colored using Viva's Inka Gold's "Greenyellow."  I used Tattered Angels' High Impact Metallic Platinum to color the colander and the rooster.  Gelatos were used to color the cherries.  Heavy distressing on the edges of the spine creates a well worn look.   The paper on the spine is Graphic 45.
BACK
Coloring the carrot was a bit of a challenge, but I was really pleased with the outcome.  I used Tattered Angels' High Impact Platinum Paint mixed with a little Viva Inka Gold Old Silver to achieve an antiqued salt/pepper shaker.
I used Ranger's Divided Tag Sleeve to hold the Page Marker, which is stored in the front of the book. 
I wanted burlap somewhere in this project, so I created a recipe card holder as a decorative insert. 
The recipe card folder has blank index cards.  There are additional "decorated" recipe cards in the pocket of the folder.  I used the Ranger Pocket Pages as section dividers. Cutouts from 7 Gypsies' Farmhouse Collection  and Carta Bella's Homemade with Love were used as pocket inserts. 
I created my own recipe cards and used stencils to embellish the front and back.  The backs of the Pocket Pages were covered with papers from the Carta Bella Homemade with Love Collection.  These papers introduced soft color without overtaking the main Farmhouse color profile and they added visual interest to the book by breaking up the black/white/kraft palette.
These pockets serve double duty as they will hold recipes that I tear out of magazines, etc. , until I can transfer them to a proper card.  Because the backs are covered, I can stick handwritten recipes and notes behind the decorative panels.  My book will stay neat and tidy and pretty!



One of the sections in the book is LUNCHES.  For my brown bag lunch recipes, I created a brown bag recipe card.  The bag is punched two ways to that it can be placed vertically when using the recipe that is on the back, or one of the recipe cards that are stored inside!
Inside the back cover is additional storage for blank recipe cards.  To create this holder, I simply colored a white Farmhouse Folder with TH Vintage Photo and Pumice Stone DI.  The back was glued to the cover and decorated with the cute little sliverware charm.

I could never have a recipe book that did not include a section for Coffee and Tea Recipes.
This section is still under construction, but I wanted to share anyway!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Please visit our blog:   The Creative Studio.  
You will love the wonderful Save A Recipe Ideas from other Design Team and Crew Members.  These ladies are UBER talented and their recipe saver ideas will inspire!

Special Shout Out to Tammy Tutterow whose Art Pocket Art Binder E-Class inspired me to create my Pocket Recipe Book!

9 comments:

  1. wow Wow WOW, Chana! What an amazing farmhouse cookbook! I love everything about it - the colors are especially wonderful with the use of metallics on the cover page. Lots of love went into this creation, and what a wonderful project! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I had fun making this!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete
  2. Wow Chana your project is absolutely beautiful inside and outside. Great job as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your gorgeous Recipe Book Chana. Well done. Thank you for your beautiful comment and also becoming a follower on my blog. Anet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anet! I love your work and hope I can get to your blog more often for inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Love your beautiful recipe book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to take an album class with you! All the pockets and inked edges. This is a beautiful book! I love how you colorized the papers on the cover. - Thanks so much for the visit. I love your album much more than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana,
      You are so sweet! We will have to plan that crafting play date! Your book is fabs!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana