Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Shopping Our Stash - Square Roots - Anything But A Card

Hello, Crafty Peeples!
 The root of cardmaking is the square card but paper crafting has evolved and moved far beyond its humble origins.   I am always intrigued by the fascinating projects paper artist are able to fashion with scraps of paper and common household items.  

In addition to his amazing Goodwill "Picking Powers," The Hubster is an amateur Chef.  He created a spice rub for beef, fish, chicken.  This rub even makes baked beans taste better.  I have no idea what's in it but I love how it amps up natural flavors.

His sister, Portia, calls him JR (like JR Ewing.)  
I designed this bottle bearing that special  moniker just for her!

The Hubster's Family Famous, Friend Friendly Spice Rub!
The Hubster will not share the recipe but freely shares the rub. 
   
I started with a clean bottle.  I keep a stash of bottles in my studio. I must have ten or twelve of these Red Rock Gingerale® bottles.  They make incredible bud vases.
I used ColorBox@  Glass Graffiti™ to color the bottle green.  I sealed the Glass Graffiti™ with Aleene's ® Acrylic Spray Sealer. 

The labels were colored with ColorBox® Seaglass Pigment Ink and the edges distressed using ColorBox® Crafter's™Ink by Ann Butler - Desert Sand.    The Hubster made a device that allows me to punch holes in almost anything (his real profession is engineering) and I  created my own shaker top from the original bottle cap.   To keep the contents from spilling,  I used my 1" circle punch to create a chipboard cover to fit inside the cap.
 The collar was created by wrapping twine around the neck of the bottle and sealing it with decoupage glue.   Then I applied Inka Gold - Hämatite and Gold wax and buffed to a high shine.  IRL the effect is pretty cool.   

Supply List:
The Hubster's Secret Spice Rub
Red Rock® GingerAle Bottle 
ColorBox® Glass Graffiti™ - Green
ColorBox® Pigment Ink - Seaglass
ColorBox® Crafter's® by Ann Butler Designs™
ColorBox® Stylus Handle and Tip
Spellbinders' Standard Oval - Metal Dies
Sizzix Alphanumeric Dies 3/4 inch
Viva Inka Gold Metallic Waxes - Gold and Hämatit
Marvy Metal Sayings "Friends"
Neenah Black Cover Stock
Medium weight Chipboard
Aleene's 
Twine

Disclosure Statment:
EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 1, 2009, FTC GUIDELINES REQUIRE BLOGGERS TO DISCLOSE ANY TIME THEY ARE COMPENSATED FOR ENDORSING OR REVIEWING PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

The Project that is demonstrated above contains components I received for free in return for my services and for posts on my blog. I affirm that I have not made, nor would I ever make or endorse, misleading statements regarding any product or service used in the operation of this blog.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE USED ON MY BLOG, PLEASE CONTACT ME AT CMALKAH@YAHOO.COM.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful altered bottle. How nice to have a hubby who likes to cook.
    hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always create such nice projects - nice job on your altered bottle tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great one-of-a-kind spice bottle you've created here. It's perfect for that one-of-a-kind spice rub :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana