Thursday, June 2, 2016

ClearSnap June Color Challenge - Upcycled Beach House Tote

Hello, Crafty Peeples!

I am delighted to be a Guest Blogger for ClearSnap®.   
  


How could you not design a fabulous Beach, Nautical, or Coastal project using these cool summer colors?  What I love most about this palette is that you can use all of these colors and still create a cohesive well-integrated design. 


COASTAL "BEACH COTTAGE"  TOTE
A friend good friend is moving to a Beach House on Tybee Island off the Savannah Coast.
This altered Walnut Hollow Rustic Tote (filled with cleaning supplies) is a fun  house warming gift! 
Beach House Front
Beach House Rear
 The floor of the Beach House should be as interesting as the facade!  I found the perfect ColorBox® Art Screen to complement this whimsical design.

THIS IS HOW IT WAS DONE
This wonderful Walnut Hollow Rustic Tote was one of the goodies in my ClearSnap® Guest Blogger haul!  
  • The front and back panels have a rough finish but I resisted the urge to sand them smooth. You will see why later.    I started with a very thin coat of gesso and then used the Direct to Surface technique to apply my ink color: ColorBox ® Archival Dye Ink - Seattle Sky.  This ink dries rather quickly and I used my Color Blender® to blend missed areas and streaks. The process went much faster than expected.
  • My next step was to cover the rest of the toolbox with a thicker coat of gesso.  Dry thoroughly before moving on to the next step.

  • To stencil on the roof design I used ColorBox® Art Screen™ - Rooftop.  The Stylus tool is indispensable when working with stencils and masks.  The dual tip makes working with two colors a breeze.

  • Cut a piece of heavyweight chipboard to the size of the toolbox bottom.
  • Cover with gesso.
  • Stencil Floor Design - ColorBox® Art Screen™. 
  • Heat set and then seal using an acrylic sealant (Spray).
  • Cover with clear shelf lining and adhere to toolbox bottom with a strong adhesive.


  • I die cut large window frames and shutters and colored them with one of our new Ann Butler Crafter's ® Inks - Desert Sand.  I rubber stamped the screen door and colored to match.
  • The window shade was created by coloring a piece of non-woven fabric, running it through the crimper and brushing the raised crimped areas with Desert Sand Ink.
  • Seal the entire project with an acrylic sealant!
The texture of the gesso on the rough wood created a stucco-like effect that worked well in this design.  Bricking the entire tote would have made the design too heavy.  The same held true for the shutters.  They work beautifully on the sides, but would have been distracting on the front and back.  The oval address stickers and sentiment balance the design.

SUPPLY LISTING
ColorBox® Archival Dye - Mist
CoorBox® Archival Dye - Seattle Sky
ColorBox® Chalk - Cheeky
ColorBox® Chalk Ink - Serene
Ann Butler™ for ColorBox®, Crafter's™ - Desert Sand
ColorBox® Pigment Ink - Seaglass
ColorBox Art Screens - Starpoints and Rooftop
ColorBox® Stylus Handles and Tips
Walnut Hollow® Rustic Tote





THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!   I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR ENTRIES IN THE 
CLEARSNAP® MONTHLY COLOR CHALLENGE

HUGZ,
CHANA

Disclosure Statment:
EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 1, 2009, FTC GUIDELINES REQUIRE BLOGGERS TO DISCLOSE ANY TIME THEY ARE COMPENSATED FOR ENDORSING OR REVIEWING PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
The Project demonstrated above contains components I received for free in return for my services and for posts on my blog. I affirm that I have not made, nor would I ever make or endorse, misleading statements regarding any product or service used in the operation of this blog.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE USED ON MY BLOG, PLEASE CONTACT ME AT CMALKAH@YAHOO.COM.




This project is being shared in the following Challenges:
Rhedd's Creative Spark - ATG Mixed Media and Altered Art Only

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Fun and Fabulous project Chana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cleaning may not be fun but I'm sure your friend will love the jazzy tote you made for the supplies. Thank you for linking to the June Challenge at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Chana this is such a beautiful and wonderful little tote you made and so handy for anything. Just love it xxx
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous tote, thanks for sharing the progression of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic, useful and so creative, hugs, Lori m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your tote,such a great theme too...a great entry for our challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic and so beachy looking! Love the colors so light and breezy! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month two fab makes! Nan, DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana