Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Shopping Our Stash - Second Monochromatic Tag! Tim Holtz - 12 Tags of 2016


Hello, Crafty Peeples!
Welcome to the First Challenge of 2016 at Shopping Our Stash.  
We made it easy for you this week!  NOT!
Create a Monochromatic Design (Use Your Favorite Color)

Heavy"Faux" Metal
I created this second tag using black as my favorite color and silver as my neutral color.   There is a little brown on my chalkboard, but I did that because I plan to also use this tag as an entry into Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2016.  I have yet to make all 12 tags in any year.  
I will probably never win a Tim Holtz challenge.   I think you have to use "all"Tim Holtz products, which makes sense, but I cannot afford to purchase all the things he manufactures for sale over the course of a year.  If I have it on hand, I use it, if not, I love using alternative materials, which allows me to create tutorials that will help crafters who are on a tight budget, and beginners who don't want to make a large financial commitment .
~~~~~
How I Did What I Did 
I love that verse in the scriptures when G-d tells Moses to use what he has at hand!  
Moses walked all over Egypt without recognizing the true value of his staff.  
I have adopted the attitude of "Use What You Have At Hand," in my crafting.

This is the top from one of those "catering" containers. 
Someone (no names, but her initials are Chana Malkah) ate all the Chilli, 
so we didn't need the top, after all.
No need really to buy metallic tape.  You could also use Aluminum foil.
Tutorial for using aluminum foil can be found at APTS
I have also created faux metal using duct tape.
I cut it down to the size of a #8 Tag 6 3/4" x 3 3/4".   
I embossed the tag blank using WRMK Next Level 123 Embossing Folder
This was done on the Big Shot Plus
If you use the Big Shot Standard, the sandwich configuration for WRMK Embossing Folders is:
Solo Platform, Solo Shim, WRMK Folder, Cutting Pad.  If you try to use both cutting pads, it will be two thick.  Also, only run the tag through once. 
I applied several coats of Liquitex ® Basics, Ivory Black™ Acrylic Paint, allowing the paint to dry between applications.  I used a paper towel to wipe across the embossed image.  If ink wiped away, I applied more ink to those areas.  I then air dried the tag for about 2 hours.  At the end of the drying time, I put a small amount of Rub n' Buff ®Silver Leaf Metallic Wax Finish on the tip of my finger and applied it randomly to ares of the tag.
The silver belly band is another one of my faux metal pieces that was in my stash.  I created it from a piece of aluminum foil.  You can find more details here: CHINESE TEA HOUSE
I also applied the Silver Leaf to the word "TWO" from the Idea-ology "Alpha Parts - Numeric and Metal Word Stick "Time," and also to the brad.  The chalkboard addition tag is from the Graphic 45 An ABC Primer Collection.  The plaid ribbon is from Really Reasonable Ribbon.




To Finish off the tag,  I adhered a  piece of black card stock to the back of the tag, rounded my corners, punched 1/4" hole and covered with an Avery Reinforcement Label.  I applied the Silver Leaf Wax to the label and  swiped it with a bit of T.H. Black Soot Distress Ink.
Added my ribbon and I was DONE!



Challenges Entered:


8 comments:

  1. Amazing, I do love tags but often pass on making them, thank you for sharing your talent designs, and inspiration. Hugs, Lori m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lori! Tags are fun and have become one of my favs! I started a new blog, http://hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com I would love to have you stop by and tell me what you think. I am trying to build a database for new and experienced paper crafters that will answer most of our questions...in one place.
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Craft Your Passion this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    Tammi , CYP DT
    makememories4life {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so neat! Thanks for playing with us at Craft Your Passion!
    Carolyn, DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! Love it! Such a great tag! Thank you for joining us over on the HIMCR blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome tag, it really looks like metal! I enjoyed your 'how-to' as well. I agree with you on Tim Holtz products. Love 'em! Just can't afford 'em, they're even more expensive in €.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Gorgeous! Thanks for joining us this week at HIMCR!

    Hiding in My Craft Room
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great version of Tim's tag! love the flash card, the metals and checked ribbon! (I think Tim/Mario actually chooses the winners with Random dot org so you could win!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana