Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Outlawz Greetings Challenge - Show Us Your Polka Dots

Hello, Crafty Peeples!

Last week I made the painful decision to step down as Team Leader of the Outlawz Monday Greetings Challenge Design Team.  For the first time since 2010, I am creating as a regular member.  
The Outlawz was my first team and will always hold a special place in my memories.

So here is my Polka Dots Card.  I chose to do a mixed media panel for the front of my card!  I have so many new paints and spray with which to play, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Painting on burlap paper was an experiment that worked out pretty well.  I also enjoyed the effects achieved by varying the sizes of polka dots and making irregular strokes across the wet paste. 
Viva Inka Gold Wax (Old Gold, Old Silver, Greenyellow) added highlights and kept the colors from becoming too muddy.  The most difficult part of this design was choosing the ephemera!

STEPS AND PRODUCTS USED TO CREATE THE PANEL: 
  • Cut a piece of burlap paper to 4"x6"  - (DCWV Burlap Stack)
  • Apply a thin coat of Gesso.  (Earth Safe Finishes) VOC Free Product
  • Use Stencils and molding paste (I used three different sizes) to create Polka Dot
  • Circle Stencils: Heidi Swapp, Hero Arts, Crafter's Workshop (Mini Life Shapes)
  • Molding Paste: Liquitex, Homemade Texture paste mixed with Stormy Sky DI
  • After past has dried (use heat tool to speed drying time) apply paints in the desired colors
  • Tattered Angels: Plain Jane Simply Sheer Cozy Yellow; Plain Jane Baseboard Grass
  • Tattered Angels: High Impact Paint Tan
  • Shimmerz: Bamboo Leaf
  • Tim Holtz: Distress Spray Stains: Mermaid Lagoon and Abandoned Coral; Paint: Picket Fence; Distress Ink: Vintage Photo
  • Viva's Inka Gold: Old Gold, Old Silver, Greenyellow
  • Choose and apply your Ephemera.  I used Tim Holtz's Thrift Shop, Emporium, Expedition.  The Hello speech bubble was cut from Simple Stories SNAP Color Fusion
  • Polka Dot Designer Paper - Simple Stories Snap Color Vibe 1
  • Border Punch: Martha Stewart's Embossed Zigzag
  • Ribbon and twine from my stash
I am finding my way back to making cards now that I have a comfort level with using mixed media for my front panels.  I am off to try to color a Rick St. Dennis image to use in a project!  Fingers don't fail me now!    Thanks so much for stopping by!
Hugz,
Chana

11 comments:

  1. This is super gorgeous. I adore your highly textured mixed media piece.
    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your creations are even more beautiful Chana. Looking forward to seeing this at Outlawz.....I totally love that Viva's Inca Gold you are using. I'll have to try mixed media someday - when my life slows down too. I have one question, how do you secure the burlap panel to the card - I'm thinking maybe spray glue, it's probably not the Gesso you mentioned??? Inquiring minds, you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! The burlap panel is burlap paper by DCWV!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful card - very nice background tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms. Babs! I am so loving your work. You seem to exploring some new directions!
      Hugz,

      Delete
  4. Well I'm glad you're getting comfortable making mixed media cards because I LOVE seeing what you create! GORGEOUSLY amazing texture and such soft, romantic colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Becca!
      Thanks! It is fun!
      Hugz!

      Delete
    2. Love this card! Soft, beautiful colors and wonderful textures! Gorgeous work!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana