Friday, May 11, 2018

Paper Crafting...A Cut Above

Hello, Crafty Peeps!


It has been a minute since I posted anything on my blog.   my husband and I volunteered to teach a few classes and do some study halls for our grandson who is being homeschooled, so,
there has been very little time for crafting.  However,  I became so inspired by self-directed learning that I decided to take a MOCC Graphic Design Course and learn a bit more about elements of design that would help me with future projects.

Our first assignment was to pick a common household item and create 10 representations of that item using different techniques and approaches to design.  Of course, the "real" graphic design students were churning out Illustrator and PS images.  Some twisted and morphed into alluring and captivating shapes.  The problem was, this was a denotative exercise and the key point was to make sure that the object was still recognizable as itself.   I chose the lowly knife and decided to stay true to my paper crafter roots and use the techniques I've learned making cards and other projects.   Well, ladies, just know, I crushed it!

Click Image for larger view.
This is my "Game of Thrones" Knife.  I cut the knife from a piece of chipboard which I then embossed and covered with Aleene's Tacky Glue.   I used the "Burned Glue" method to create a faux metal look.  The blade is accented with Inka-Gold Old Silver and the handle with Rub'n Buff Ruby Rubi metallic finish.  Three flat back crystals on the handle and I was good to go.

Here are some of my other creations.  One of the designs had to be a "blind drawing."  I will spare you that one.
This is my "Roman" Dagger.  I used lots of acrylic paint and crackle to develop the texture and then used Rub'n Buff to convey age and exposure to the elements.   This one received very positive feedback.
This was very simple...just a lot of flat back pearls and crystals in the shape of a knife.

For this design, I used chipboard, glycerine water, and Tim Holtz distress ink to create a faux leather knife.  I embossed the surface and sealed it with Glossy Accents.  This is my favorite...so cool!

The other designs are mostly conceptual and not very interesting for a paper crafting blog.  It was interesting to see how different my submission was from most others.   One thing I know for sure, I need to feel paper in my hands and get ink on my fingers.  Wish me luck!   I will continue to share any of OUR techniques I use in my submissions.  Now, I have to come up with three new images using different techniques.  They are to be connotative and deliver a message.  "We shall see," said the blind man.

Hugz,
Chana Malkah

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful project, so nice to hear from you, miss you heaps xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alex! I miss you guys, too! I don't do Facebook anymore, but plan to drop into the team page to say hello to everyone. Hope life is treating you well.
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete
    2. Glad you are doing well, all is good here, Crafters Cafe is still running smoothly as is Outlawz and of course our lovely 613 xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana