Wednesday, May 6, 2020

A PLACE TO START - MAY 2020 CHALLENGE - CREATE A CUSTOM BACKGROUND

Hello, Crafty Makers!
We have a fabulous challenge for you this month at A Place To Start!
We are challenging all of our players to create their own custom backgrounds.  We accept all crafts, so you do not have to make a card, however, you cannot use designer paper.   I know this is a challenge Gelli Plate Artists can nail just using their wipe-offs!😊
Love Life
My card is being posted a couple of days late.  I am not always the best at anticipating how much time things will take.  I signed up for a bunch of Jewish Learning classes, not thinking that they might overlap some of my gig work and my crafting!  C'est la vie!

Decorated envelopes are always nice!  I only do them when I can use a simple image and not worry about decorating the inside.
Without those small flatback crystals, I don't think this card would have the same visual impact.  The waxed linen thread is perfect!
This is the most decorating I have ever done on the inside of a card.  The sentiment expresses my attitude.  I love life!  In spite of it all, life is good!
 <><><><><><><><><><><><>
How to create these backgrounds:
Use the stencil(s) of your choice
  • Cut a piece of white CS to 11.0" x 5-1/2".  Score at 2", 4-1/2" and 9".
  • On the backside of the card, apply Distress Oxide Inks: (Blend until you achieve your desired color.  
  • Next, cut the decorative edge on your small flap.  I positioned the die at 1/4" from the edge!  (The positioning of the die will be determined by the image you plan to stencil on your flap and the size of your border die).
  • Positioned your stencil so that a small part wraps around the back when folded.  Color in the stencil using your blending brushes.
  •  Allow the outside to dry thoroughly before decorating the interior. Use a blending brush to cover the entire surface with Vintage Photo Distress Oxide Ink. Wipe an anti-static bag over the inked surface. Use Pixie Spray or a low tack tape (like Scotch removable tape)to the back of your background stencil. (this design can be the same as the front. I just chose to make mine different.) Make sure that both the card and the stencil are secure. I applied two layers of VersaMark Embossing Ink. The first layer was applied using a piece of cut foam. The second layer was applied using the direct to paper technique and then embossed with clear embossing powder.
  • If you are using a second decorative stencil as I did, position the stencil on the inside and color it with blending brushes. After the stencil has been colored, you can apply Perfect Pearls or Wink of Stella to the interior surface. If you use Perfect Pearls, Remember to mist the stencil design (spray water into the air and then pass your card through it a few times) to set the Perfect Pearls.
  • Cut a piece of text weight paper to a size slightly smaller than the center panel and adhere it to your card using a glue runner. Stencil in the Design. You can use CS instead of Text!
  • Use a stamping platform to stamp your sentiment.
  • Secure your flap with cord (I used waxed linen ) or ribbon. Add other embellishments as desired.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Stuff I Used
Heidi Swapp Stencils
Martha Stewart Stencil



SPELLBINDERS-Edgeabilities-Mix-amp-Match-CLASSIC-DECORATIVE-INSERTS-TWO-E8-010-Die

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty card.Love the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! My goodness this is stunning, I love the front of your card and the envelope and then your surprise Gorgeousness inside - Just Fabulous.
    Keep safe and well.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow beautiful and very elegant, I love them, the decoration in the inside of the card is stunning and I love the sentiment. Hugs, María.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear friend! Love to see that you are creating wonderful projects like you did in this post. I've been very busy (mostly crocheting) that it's only now I was able to read the message (comment) you left in my latest card creation. The truth is I am still part of the 613 Family and I check our project site once or twice a month. The reason why I haven't submitted any project was because I always missed the deadline. I'm a last minute gal and by the time I thought of posting my project, it was like 2 days late already. I believe that you wanted it like 3 to 4 days before the Challenge day. But I truly hope I can submit something by next month. Anyway, thanks for checking on me. God bless always.

    JO ANN
    https://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cards! that background is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana