Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sunshine On A Cloudy Day - Shopping Our Stash - Another Brown Lunch Bag Card

Good Morning, Crafty Peeples
The Theme this week at Shopping Our Stash is 
"Sunshine On A Cloudy Day!"
I was born at the tail end of 1949, came of age in the 1960's, and lived in Philadelphia, PA.  You say to me "I've Got Sunshine On A Cloudy Day"  I say to you " MY GIRL!  The TEMPS!"
Philadelphia, in the mid to late 60's, where on any given Friday night, on any corner, one could find boy groups, girl groups, mixed groups, and some odd groups, all gathered together in the name of Barry Gordy and Motown.  Everyone could sing, everyone could dance and everyone wanted to be a star.  Except, my father, who mostly just wanted everyone to shut up, go home and stop using the front stoop of his business as an audition studio.  

My father would yell, "why don't you go sing in front of your house?" and my sister, Pat, who I always felt harbored some kind of death wish, would answer smugly, "I am singing in front of my house, Pops!" 

Adding to Dad's frustration was the knowledge that there were always a couple of cops there, leaning against their patrol cars, making song requests (instead of clearing the sidewalk) and eating the Philly Cheese Steaks they had purchased from HIM (my ungrateful father).





One wonderful weekend each month, The Block Party Talent Show took possession of the dead end street that ran along side my father's restaurant.   Most of the male groups imitated "The Temps." Dad made money hand over fist. Pat and I served customers between our stints as backup singers for various groups.  My Stepmoms and her church friends played Wisk, kept their eyes on the "fast" girls and generally made sure the "heathens" didn't get out of control.  It was planned, impromptu theatre.
As fortune would have it, I met and married a man who had an extensive "mint condition" album collection which included every album and 45 rpm ever released by "The Temps."   Half of which he sold to pay for our dates.  When Jim's Best Friend told me about the sale of the albums, I was able to buy them back... from said Best Friend, who, woefully short of cash, could smell my desperation and managed a nice profit.
At the reception, after I presented the gift of his  "Redeemed Beloved Temps," my husband and a bunch of other very drunken soldiers sang "My Girl" and performed the worst Temptations dance routine in the long, sad history of bad..really bad dance routines.  What A Man, What A Man, What A Mighty Good Man!

This was a fun challenge. Hubby and I had a blast reminiscing about our time in the military, our wedding, and all the albums he sold to keep me in chili dogs and Pepsi at "Sue and Herb's Drive In Diner" at Fort Hauchuca, Arizona.
 Somebody owes somebody a trip to Paris!
Answer (August 2, 2014 marked 45 years)


Thanks for stopping by.  Check out my teammates creations HERE











22 comments:

  1. Chana this is about the nicest blog post I have read in a very long time. I almost feel like I am on the stoop with you enjoying all the wonderful performances!
    I agree, someone owes somebody a trip to Paris :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories! I had no idea your love for The Temptations went so deep.

    And I can't believe all The Temptations references on your project - how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project - love the "The Temps" great job as always. Thanks for featuring my tag on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful trip down memory lane and I feel so honoured to be reading about it. Awesome blog post and what a fabulous project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chana you are a born story teller and would go down well over here in Ireland. I so enjoyed that and your project is fabulous! Thanks for letting me know about my award on Facebook, made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Pinky, that is high praise indeed. I am a major fan of Irish story telling. There is something about the cadence that just appeals to me.

    Your work is awesome, I look forward to seeing more in the coming weeks!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was already IN LOVE with this, but the story makes it EVEN BETTER!!! happy happy happy 45 (!!!) years and many more to you and your hubby! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chana, what a fun blog post read for today! A little bit history, a little bit music and a whole lot of crafting style! The Temps would be proud of your artwork. Thanks for joining us at Try Stampin' On Tuesday this week. Also - love you blog title and header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Super Stamp Girl! I love your challenge. Wish I could play more!

    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, Paris next stop! This was such a fun post to read, Chana!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic, Chana! Loved your story and all the great memories you shared. Now, slipping on my DT hat -- I'm really tickled that you chose to play along in our challenge this week at Through the Craft Room Door. Hope to see you again soon.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure what I enjoyed more: your gorgeous card, or your wonderful story! Both are fabulous! TFS, and Happy 45th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, you can write! I was able to picture all of this in my mind, and was grinning from ear to ear the whole time! I'm not sure which I loved more...the amazing paper bag alteration (love, love, love it!) or the fabulous story you wove here for our enjoyment! Both are equally impressive, inspiring and uplifting. I hope you do get to go to Paris! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous post Chana, what a great story. Your card is stunning and I love they paper and colours. Thank you for joining us for Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome memories captured here with your stunning nostalgic little album.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful project! And thanks for sharing your fun stories!
    Thanks so much for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty Great work! Thanks for joining is at Try Stampin' on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous vintage design! Everything works so well together. It looks like a project that you've put both effort and heart into!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is STUNNING. THanks for joining us this week for our Anything Goes Challenge at DCD.
    Anita
    Co-Host and Sponsor Coordinator for Die Cuttin Divas

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is STUNNING. THanks for joining us this week for our Anything Goes Challenge at DCD.
    Anita
    Co-Host and Sponsor Coordinator for Die Cuttin Divas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Channa, OMG!! this is the best short story that I have read in a long time. What a creative way to stroll down memory lane with one of the best groups of all time, which just happens to be my favorite group. I am your newest follower cant wait to see more creative creations. Please stop by and say HI. Traci

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana