Monday, May 6, 2019

A Place To Start - Favorite Technique - Serendipity Squares

Hello, Crafty Makers!
is challenges you to show off your 
FAVORITE TECHNIQUE(s)
If you are like me, choosing one technique as a favorite is pretty difficult.  Fortunately, you can submit five entries to our challenge, so just pick your top five and let it rip!
If you need help choosing a technique, 
if you are a Newbie to crafting,
click the 1001 Techniques link above.   
~~~~
If this is your first time using a particular technique, we would also love to have you enter it into our
 Crafty Hugz!
This was my first time using the Serendipity Technique on a card.  I have used it a few times on mixed media projects and while a little time consuming, the results are well worth the effort.  I only used three square here, but my project actually yielded nine.
~~~~
How I Did What I Did

1.  I chose scrap papers that coordinate and tear into pieces and or strips.  I later added grey and blue polka dotted papers to the ones shown in this picture.  All of my papers were double sided so I got a lot of different colors and patterns.  Most will be hidden but the bits and pieces that show through will create a unique mosaic.
2.  I cut a piece of kraft cardstock to 5"x 5"(use whatever size and cardstock you wish for your base.) Just make sure it is card and not paper.  I glued the beige polka-dotted sheet (which I cut to 4.75" x 4.75" to create an eighth-inch border all around. This is not necessary, I just wanted my squares to have a lip) I stamped two images onto the paper.  I used a large background stamp and a smaller text stamp.  Once the image was stamped.  I colored in random parts of the flowers.  Then I began randomly gluing down my scrap papers.  I made sure that I left so areas of the flowers uncovered.
3.  Once the glue had dried (helped a little by my heat gun) I created a gold glitter wash and brushed it randomly over the paper.  I use DecoArt Metallic Paint "Splendid Gold", Glitter "Crystal", and Water to create the wash.
4.  I used Ranger "Wilted Violet" Distress Oxide Ink to color portions of my flowers and I knew I wanted to use a Lilac colored cardstock as my base so I decided to create a second wash using Inka-Gold "Violet Violet" Metallic Wax.
5.  Next, I repeated the stamping that I used on the first layer.  I stamped the small stamp first using black ink.  Then I stamped the larger image using embossing Ink.  I embossed the image with white embossing powder.
6.   Next, I cut my squares (1.50"x1.50").  I ended up with six even squares and three squares that are 1.50" x 2.0".  I used a cream card to cut three squares 1-5/8" x 1-5/8" as layers for my squares.
7.  I found a scrap piece of green card onto which I stamped my large floral background.  Again I heat embossed it using white embossing powder.  Using another piece of one of the scraps I used to create my serendipity design, I stamped my sentiment and cut it out with my circle punch.  I cut a piece of kraft card and colored it with Rangers Tea Dye Distress Ink.  A used my gold wash to give it a sheen. I used the Wilted Violet Ink to distress the edges of a piece of white card and then layered that onto the kraft card.  I had a thin strip of serendipity
left over from cutting my squares.  I added this to the center of the small layered card and attached my sentiment circle using double-sided foam tape.
8.  The final step was to add the elastic gold string and a small brad.
Thanks for stopping by!
Hugz,
Stuff I Used
Stamps:    Hero Arts™ "Flower Text"; LaBlanche Stamps "Transilvano Dialogo"
Papers:     Various scraps from my stash; Neenah® Classic Cream, Kraft Card
Inks:         Ranger® Distress Ink™"Tea Dye", Ranger® Distress Oxide Ink™ "Wilted Violet; Inka-Gold® "Violet Violet" Metallic Wax.
Product Links

9 comments:

  1. Love the colours. Beautiful card.
    Thank you for sharing the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW fabulous card plus added mixed media I have never heard of this technique but you have a most beautiful result -will have to try this one
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I used to use this on bottles and canvas but never on card. I really like it! A great way to create your own background paper!

      Delete
  3. Oh Chana I must give this a go, it's totally new to me and I love how effective it is. The coordinating papers, stamped details and layering up give so many focal points of interest and I'm always happy to see that added texture of fibres... all boxes ticked :) crafting hugs.. Tina Chianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina,
      I know you will come up with something stunning! Can't wait to see!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous07 May, 2019

    Beautiful and love the mixed media technique. Will have to try this for sure.
    Scarlett xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scarlett,
      It is a fun technique and I find that even using papers that don't remotely coordinate, you can still end up with a beautiful new paper design! Looking forward to seeing what you create!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete
  5. Love your card, Chana and love the instruction you provided. Will give this a try in the future. Happy to be joining you on the DT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucille! I am delighted that you are joining the team. I know we will all have lots of creative fun!
      Hugz!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana